Friday, December 16, 2005

In my alumni egroup today..interesting comment; ....

From Bro Prof Ahmad Puaad Osman of UKM;

"I have never said that studying Math & Science is not Good...I was in SMSS from 73-74. I took MCE, All the nine subjects were in English ( Subjective tau ) Xcept Malay and Ugama.
But when I grow up, Involved my self with education ( Not politics Ha..) and try to understand the efforts of BUILDING A NATION.. like what the Japanese, Korean, German, British, Chinese, Russians. do ..( a few more..) I now understand the need of my mother's tounge
language. Americans do not built their nation. America is the melting pot of many nations who just want to seek opportunity and fortunes. ( A researched was done by a scholar from UKM. Prof. Shahrir Md Zain...( mathematician ).. 80%of the Nobel Laureat, were educated in their own mother tounge's language, at least up to the Bachelor degree before they immigrated to the USA -the land of opportunies ). Believe me...In 20 years to come...If the present trend is to stay.. we will never again see food ingradients written in the Malay Language on food wrappers or food package. Why??? because nobody understand it.. and by the way who needs it anyway..Everybody is talking in English when it comes to science technical terms.
Remember.. We are talking about BUILDING A NATION with pride....not building a rumah setinggan. To remind again.. English is VERY important.

Just ponder: When Malaya or British were ruling before.. or may be in the 60s and early 70s...English was the main stream at that time.. (mind you I was in Malay school.. then remove class and only then English ).. were the Malays .. ( excuse me to the non-Malays )...much better of in Science and technology.. in 60s and 70s. The core of the problem is Sound Education system. Recently ( my daughter is one of them) the JPA has started sending students to Russia and Ukraine (Ukraine dah stop) and Indonesia to study medicine - to save cost. These students have to speak and write in Russian when they go to clinics. In class they sometimes have to
read medical literatures in Latin...It seems, they wre OK, and survived despite the difficulties. Believe me if most of our students have good command of English.. NO BODY bothers
to ask to teach Science and Math in English.. So logically.. English & Science and Math have VERY little correlation.

One silly question to ponder .. If we want our footballers to be like the Brazilians.. why don we ask the coach and sports teachers teach football in Brazillian (?) or Spanish for that matter.. Ini joke je..

I rest my case here for a while.. I may be wrong !!!!. But I want my future generation know that I contributed to the Nation building...

For your information... The equation F=ma is not always right... Have you ever heard about F=ma2 ( squared )"


Hmmmmmmmm....????

No comments: